University Housing is made up of smaller departments including Residence Life and Family & Graduate Housing.  These two departments work collaboratively with Culinary Services and Residential Networking departments to provide a comfortable and safe environment for those students and families living on-campus at Montana State University.  We encourage you to look at the additional tabs for more information pertaining to these various departments and entities.

Residence Life


Residence Halls

Montana State University offers convenient and affordable on-campus housing for students. The Residence Life Department is committed to providing an environment which is socially stimulating while enhancing the academic experience of the students who live on campus. Students with fewer than 30 earned credit hours (while in a residence hall setting) are required to live in the residence halls. Prospective students are urged to submit an application at the earliest possible date since assignments are made in the order they are received. A limited number of single rooms are available.

Living Options

There are many living options available that encompass academic and social enrichment for our residents; however, living options do change from year to year, based on student need, academic interest areas, and national trends. Our current living options are listed below.

  1. All Female Halls (Hannon/Hapner)
  2. All Male Hall (Langford)
  3. Co-Ed Halls: Co-ed living environments are comprised of both men and women living on either separate floors or separate wings of the same hall (Headwaters Complex, Johnstone Center, Mullan, South Hedges, North Hedges, Residence Life Apartments, Roskie,  and Yellowstone Hall).
  4. Living Learning Communities (LLCs): Dedicated to academic success, Residence Life offers floors designed to assist students with common majors or lifestyles. Currently, Business, Creative Arts, Emerging Leaders, Engineering, Honors, Sense of Place, and Well-Being are scattered throughout all of the residence halls.
    1. Business LLC: The Business Living Learning Community is designed to provide career exploration and exposure to other majors/minors that allow for a career in the business field. Residents will have access to in-hall academic advising, study sessions, and evening presentations by business faculty and local business leaders. This living option is co-educational. (South Hedges)
    2. Creative Arts LLC: The Creative Arts Living Learning Community is open to any student interested in the creative arts. Recently, the lounge space was remodeled to accommodate a workspace for creating models and completing art projects. This living option is co-educational. (South Hedges)
    3. Emerging Leaders LLC: The Emerging Leaders Living Learning Community is a space for residents to explore their role as an emerging leader. As a member of this community residents will have the unique opportunity to learn and practice their individual style of leadership. This is a collaboration between Residence Life and the Leadership Institute to provide programming and mentorship throughout the year. This living option is co-educational.  Students living on the floor must enroll in the Leadership Fellows program and enroll in a special section of UC 102 during the fall semester. (South Hedges)
    4. Engineering LLC: The Engineering Living Learning Community is designed to give residents an edge in their demanding and competitive engineering majors.  Residents are provided with programs and workshops that supplement their in-class experience, as well as in-hall study sessions and faculty presentations.  This living option is offered for males in Langford and females in Hannon. (Hannon/Langford)
    5. Honors LLC: Housed in The Quads and one floor in South Hedges, Hannon, and Langford, these options are for students enrolled in the Honors College. These spaces provide an ideal setting for the study sessions and spontaneous discussions that foster the growth of an Honors student. (Quads/South Hedges/Hannon/Langford)
    6. Sense of Place LLC: The Sense of Place Living Learning Community is a brand new community which focuses on residents establishing an understanding of their self and their place in the world. This community was developed for students unsure about what they want to study and what their futures hold. This living option is co-educational. Students living on the floor must enroll in a special section of US 103 during the spring semester. (South Hedges)
    7. Well-Being LLC: At Montana State University, we encourage students to find a balance between their personal and academic well-being. As a member of the Well-Being Living Learning Community, students will have the opportunity to explore their own best self as well as have direct access to professionals on campus to depend their understanding of all aspects of health. Connect with peers, explore opportunities for self-care and advocate for health and well-being with others who share a common passion. (Yellowstone)

  5. Mixed Gender HousingMontana State University is committed to creating a culture of intellectual and personal growth. Because learning is enhanced when topics are examined from diverse perspectives and because individuals possess unique outlooks which reflect the world around us, Montana State University is dedicated to creating an inclusive community that embraces a rich mix in the composition of its student body, staff, and faculty. We have listed some details below about the living option:

    1. Mixed Gender Housing (MGH) for the 2018-19 academic year is a new pilot program at Montana State University that allows students to live in a suite, regardless of their sex or gender. This means that you may be in a suite with another student who identifies as a man, a woman, gender-nonconforming, or any other gender identity.
    2. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a number of hall and campus programs including Safe Zone Training, American Indian Heritage Day, Black History Month, India Night, Coming Out Day, International Food Bazaar as well as a number of other campus programs that are hosted throughout the year.
    3. The community will have more optional programs and resources provided throughout the year around various topics of diversity including race, gender, age, language, socioeconomic status, religion, political affiliation, geographical background, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, and ability status.

    4. Students that live in this community will be required to provide feedback to the Residence Life department and the University about their overall satisfaction and suggestions for improvement to the living option in the future.
    5. Students will reside in one of our suite style residence halls and the room & board rate will be listed and determined similar to all other room & board rates.
    6. Please feel free to contact James Tobin, Assistant Director of Residence Life at (406) 994-2661 or at jtobin@montana.edu to understand all of the living options available to you or to discuss any questions that you may have. Our goal is to provide a welcoming community for all students and the earlier we can discuss and address any of your concerns, the more flexibility we will have in assisting you with exploring different housing options.
  6. Sophomore & Above and/or 21+: (Johnstone)
  7. Sophomore and Above Deluxe Floors: Roskie Hall is the home of two newly remodeled sophomore and above floors. These floors consist of single rooms with the same square footage as a double room in Roskie. This quiet, yet active, living option provides an opportunity for those students who want a change of pace from the traditional freshmen energy.
  8. Sophomore and Above Halls: The Headwaters Complex, Johnstone Center and Residence Life Apartments are designed to meet the needs of all second year students by creating programs that deal directly with the issues they are currently facing.

Please visit the Residence Life website, www.montana.edu/reslife, contact the Residence Life Office at 406-994-2661, or email housing@montana.edu for the specific halls and floors which provide the living options outlined above.


Room Equipment and Furnishings

All rooms have closets, extra-long twin beds (except Quads and Roskie), chests of drawers, study desks, waste baskets, chairs, and window coverings. Each room is wired for secure wired, and wireless internet connections. Also, a linen service is available for residents, providing sheets and pillow cases. These items can be exchanged once a week for a clean set of linens. It is the responsibility of the residents to maintain order and cleanliness in their rooms.


Laundry rooms are in every hall with the exception of the Madison and Jefferson Halls in the Headwaters Complex and are equipped with Cat Card-operated automatic washers and dryers. Ironing boards and a limited number of irons are available at the hall desks.

Residence Hall Association (RHA)

All students residing in the residence halls are members of the Residence Hall Association. Organized on floor, hall, and inter-hall levels with programming, judicial, and governmental committees, RHA strives to uphold and promote the interests of students residing in the residence halls and to provide an active voice in residence hall administrative policy and operating procedures.

Guests & Visitation Policy

  • Students may entertain guests in their rooms provided that the rights of the other students on the floor, and in particular their roommates, are not violated.
  • Due to the excessive noise caused by large numbers of people and potential fire hazards, no more than ten (10) people may be in the student’s room at any time.
  • A guest is defined as “a person who is not assigned to or contracted for a particular room, but is in a room at the invitation of the occupant.”
  • Guests must abide by all rules and regulations of the University and Residence Halls.
  • The resident host is responsible for the actions of their guests, for informing them of hall rules and regulations, and for expenses incurred by them.
  • Guests staying overnight are limited to a period of time not to exceed three consecutive nights within a 14 day period. Guests must check-in and receive a new guest check-in slip each night. Both the resident and guest will face conduct charges if in violation.
  • Each resident is limited to one overnight guest at a time.
  • Guests must adhere to the escort policies in each hall.
  • If guests will be in the building after 10:00pm, they must present a photo ID and check in at the hall front desk. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action (See Safety and Security, pg. 33).
  • As stated above, a guest is defined as any person not assigned or contracted for a particular room, but is in a room at the invitation of the occupant.  Guests must be greeted at the front desk by the resident before entering the building.  Between 10pm – 7am Guests must be checked in and escorted in all residence halls. 
  •  All residence hall students will be able to access the lobbies of North and South Hedges from 7am – 10pm for services including the ResNet Help Desk, The Den, and Counseling and Psychological Services. 
  • A staff member can, at any time, remove an unescorted guest from a floor/building. If residents see an unescorted person during escort hours, they can report the matter to a staff member.

Personal Funds and Property

Students are urged to help safeguard their personal funds by establishing local checking accounts. All other valuable personal property should be adequately protected. Montana State University is not insured nor responsible for the loss or destruction of any personal property of students. Students are encouraged to carry their own personal property insurance. Montana State University has strict regulations regarding firearms on campus; contact the Office of Residence Life for details.

Board Charges and Meal Plans

All residence hall students are required to participate in a meal plan. Meals are served in the dining halls during Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break on a modified schedule. Meals are not served in the dining halls during Winter Break, which is reflected in the meal plan charges.

Student meal plans can be viewed on the Residence Life website.

In addition to these meal plans, off-campus students (only) have the option to purchase a variety of commuter meal plans, which can be viewed on the Culinary Services webpage.

Semester Charges

Prices for the current academic year/semester can be obtained through the Residence Hall Room & Board rates page.

Note: Charges listed are estimates for the academic year/semester and are subject to change without notice.

Payment of Charges

Room and board fees, ResNet, and the RHA social fee are paid in full at the beginning of each semester during the fee payment period. Installment payments for room and board must be arranged in advance with the Office of Student Accounts. There are no deductions for room or board for late arrivals (at the beginning of the semester) or for early departures (at the end of the semester).

Application for Housing

Apply online at www.montana.edu/reslife.


A $300 non-refundable prepayment is required when submitting a Residence Hall Application. The University will not process housing requests until the student has submitted a completed housing application and the $300 nonrefundable prepayment. The $300 will be applied to the total housing costs upon payment of fees.

Prepayment Forfeiture

Failure to occupy the room or cancellation of the contract before or during the contract period will result in the forfeiture of the $300 prepayment.

Refunds of Room and Board Payments

Students who terminate class registration during a semester will receive a prorated refund of their room and board payments unless they are suspended by the university.

There are no refunds for early departures at the end of the semester or late arrivals at the beginning of the semester. Rooms are held until the first hour of classes on the first class day of the semester.

A student who is absent from his/her residence hall for one or more weeks of consecutive meals due to his/her own illness or participation in University-sponsored activities will be refunded based on a pro-rated system, provided the student notifies Culinary Services in advance of the University-sponsored activity. Requests for refunds based on absence due to illness must be submitted in writing to Culinary Services, accompanied by a statement from the Director of Student Health Services, or the student’s own doctor, indicating required hospitalization or home care.

Exemptions from On Campus Living

All incoming freshmen with fewer than 30 credits earned in a university residential setting are required to live on campus for their first two academic semesters. However, there are some criteria that, if met, may qualify a student for an exemption from living on campus. Qualifications for exemption are as follows:

  1. Marriage.
  2. Physical custody of a dependent child.
  3. Have completed one full academic year at another college/university while living in a residence hall.
  4. Will be taking 5 or fewer credit hours.
  5. Recent substantial financial change beyond the control of the student.
  6. A medical or disability condition that precludes a student from living in the residence halls.
  7. Will be living at home with an immediate family member (mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather) or legal guardian.
  8. Current active military or veteran's status.
  9. Have other extenuating circumstances.

To initiate the exemption process, you must submit the required written documentation. This must be received by the Residence Life Office prior to the academic period requested. Exemptions received after the start of any term will be considered, but rarely approved.  The Request for Exemption form can be found online.

Students must be enrolled as a student of the University and must take no fewer than 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits to live in the residence halls. All students taking 9 to 11 credits will be placed on Residence Hall probation. Any student taking 6 to 9 credits will need to request permission from the Director of Residence Life to live in the residence halls and, if approved, will be placed on Residence Hall probation. If a student is taking less than 6 credits or is no longer enrolled in the University, they are not eligible to live in the residence halls. Please contact the Residence Life Office at 406-994-2661 for more information.

The specific opening/closing dates for the residence halls will be sent to students with their room assignments. If this information is needed earlier, please contact the Residence Life Office at 406-994-2661, housing@montana.edu, or www.montana.edu/reslife.

Although the residence halls officially close during Winter break students are able to stay on campus. Students living in some halls may be required to temporarily move during the break period. There is an additional charge for students who stay on campus during Winter break housing; these costs are not assessed to students who do not utilize the services. Only authorized individuals are allowed in the residence halls during breaks, therefore guests are not permitted as this is a service that we can provide to hall residents only. 

Hall residents will be able to stay in their assigned rooms during Thanksgiving and Spring breaks with no additional cost.

Work Opportunities

For students needing to work while attending Montana State University, there are a number of employment opportunities available in residence halls, at front desks, and with the various food services on campus. Information regarding employment may be obtained by contacting the Residence Life Office and Culinary Services or through the Employment webpage. Work study/financial aid status is not necessary to qualify for student employment.

Work Opportunities include:

  • Academic Peer Mentors
  • Desk Clerks
  • Culinary Services
  • Resident Advisors
  • Weekend Student Custodians

Family & Graduate Housing


Family & Graduate Housing is pleased to offer convenient, affordable housing as a service to enable families, married couples, graduate students, second degree undergraduates, single parents, and those in a legally dependent relationship to continue their education.

Family & Graduate Housing offers 550 units in one, two, and three bedroom apartment/house configurations in seven different communities. Units are on-campus and a quick 10-15 minutes to campus buildings and amenities. While each apartment complex varies, available options include: washer/drier hookups, free laundry (in apartment complexes without washer/dryer connections), ResNet connection, dishwashers (in several Julia Martin, Paisley, and Branegan units), storage areas, playground equipment, picnic tables, and cable television.

Electric and gas utility costs are included in all units except McIntosh, Paisley, and the West Side Houses. Water, sewer, and garbage costs are included in the rental price of all units.

As a benefit to our tenants, Family & Graduate Housing offers a variety of services to assist with making the transition to campus-life: a team of community assistants (CA’s) who help to provide 24/7 service to tenants; a monthly newsletter to inform tenants of upcoming campus and community events; close proximity to the ASMSU Day Care Center, available for children 2-1/2 years through kindergarten; events and programs catered to adults, children, and families to help connect with neighbors; a staff of skilled craftsmen to assist with any maintenance problems; a 24-hour call-out service to assist with emergencies; and more.

Eligibility Requirements:

A. Family Status: Students may reside in Family Housing only with those for whom the individual has or shares a legal responsibility and approved members of the student's immediate family. Examples of such relationships include married students, students with dependent children, student with dependent parent(s), and students with disabilities who require a live-in personal care attendant. Student applicants must provide documentation of their legal relationship to those persons residing with the student. Such documentation could include a marriage license or children's birth certificate(s)  and/or custody decree, letter of guardianship or other documentation sufficient to establish a legal responsibility. A student must have physical custody of a dependent child for four or more months of the calendar year to be eligible for Family Housing.

B. Student Status: The student tenant must be and remain a full-time student, registered for and taking a minimum of nine (9) undergraduate or five (5) graduate credits during each semester of occupancy, and making normal progress toward a degree on a university approved program. Students must pre-register for classes, or demonstrate intent to register no later than July 15th for fall semester, and November 15th for spring semester, of each calendar year, in order to maintain their student status.

C. Faculty Status: Faculty or staff, post-doctoral fellows, research associates, or visiting faculty are eligible for Family & Graduate Housing. Faculty/staff are not eligible to reside in designated graduate/undergraduate housing (Nelson Story Tower, Peter Koch Tower, and Grant Chamberlain). Single faculty/staff, research associates, and post-doctoral fellows are eligible to occupy a two-bedroom apartment.

D. Graduate Student Status: Regularly enrolled, single graduate students are eligible to reside in designated graduate student housing. Graduate students may be placed in a single-dwelling, one-bedroom apartment OR in a two-bedroom apartment with an assigned same-gender graduate or same-gender undergraduate (junior or senior) student roommate. Graduate students may choose one of three housing options:

  • Reside in a one-bedroom apartment as a single occupant (Nelson Story or Peter Koch Towers).
  • Reside in a two-bedroom apartment as a single occupant, space permitting (Grant Chamberlain Drive). Tenant will pay full rental rate.
  • Reside in a two-bedroom apartment with a same gender roommate (Grant Chamberlain Drive). Tenants will each pay one-half of the apartment rent. Should a tenant request this option a roommate cannot be placed, or if a roommate moves out, the tenant will have one month from date of notice from the Family & Graduate Housing Office to secure a roommate. If the tenant has not secured a roommate in one month, s/he will be responsible for the full rental rate of that apartment.

E. Second-Degree Student Status: Students without legal dependents pursuing a second undergraduate degree who have already graduated from an accredited four-year institution may live in Graduate Housing. Students must take a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester and provide a copy of their degree in order to be eligible.

F. Undergraduate Single Student Status: When availability permits, single undergraduate who have earned more than seventy-two (72) credits are eligible to reside in housing designated for single graduate students. Single undergraduates must maintain a minimum of nine (9) credits in a degree-granting program. Summer course registration is not required to maintain occupancy through summer session. Single undergraduates may choose from the three housing options available to graduate students listed above.

G. Summer Occupancy: To continue occupancy during the Summer Semester, the student tenant must either:

  • Be and remain a full-time registered student for Summer Semester, with nine (9) undergraduate credits or five (5) graduate credits.
  • Have been registered for at least nine (9) undergraduate credits or five (5) graduate credits, been in good scholastic standing for the preceding Spring Semester, and be pre-registered for the following Fall Semester.
  • Or be pre-registered for the upcoming Fall Semester.

H. Change in Status: If there is a change in marital status, residence of spouse or residence/dependency of children, faculty/staff/student status, or other status related to eligibility, the tenant must notify the Family & Graduate Housing Office immediately. If the tenant's change in status results in his/her ineligibility, the tenant must vacate the unit within thirty (30) days of notice of eligibility.

MSU Family & Graduate Housing provides an equal housing opportunity. Discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, gender, marital status, familial status, or age is prohibited.

University Culinary Services


Meal Plan Options

Our meal plans offer students the flexibility and freedom to eat what, where, and when they want with the convenience of two locations across campus. Students living in the Residence Halls may choose between a 5-Day Meal Plan (Mon-Fri) or one of the 7-Day Meal Plans (Sun-Sat) options. All plans allow for unlimited entry and unlimited food at any of the two locations during hours of operations.

Residence Dining Commons Hours of Operation

Miller Dining Commons

Monday - Friday 7am - 10pm
Saturday - Sunday 7am - 7pm

Rendezvous Dining Pavilion

Monday - Friday 7am - 7pm
Saturday - Sunday 7am - 7pm

Choosing A Meal Plan

Bobcat Anytime Gold

This plan provides unlimited access to the all-you-care-to-eat residential dining venues seven (7) days per week during operating hours and a $150 balance in CatCash per semester.

Bobcat Anytime Silver

This plan provides unlimited access to the all-you-care-to-eat residential dining venues seven (7) days per week during operating hours per semester.

Bobcat Anytime Copper

This plan is designed for students who will not be on campus on the weekends. It provides unlimited access to the all-you-care-to-eat residential dining venues five (5) days per week (Monday-Friday) during operating hours and a $150 balance in CatCash per semester.

Bobcat Anytime Bronze

This plan is designed for students who will not be on campus on the weekends. It provides unlimited access to the all-you-care-to-eat residential dining venues five (5) days per week (Monday-Friday) during operating hours per semester.

CatCash can be used at:

  • Any of the campus retail food operations
  • Bookstore
  • Concessions
  • Dining Commons
  • All laundry facilities in the Residence Halls
  • WEPA Print Kiosks


  • A student who is absent from his/her residence hall for one or more weeks of consecutive meals due to his/her own illness or participation in University-sponsored activities will be refunded based on a pro-rated system, provided the student notifies Culinary Services in advance of the University-sponsored activity. Requests for refunds based on absence due to illness must be submitted in writing to Culinary Services,  accompanied by a statement from the Director of Student Health Services, or the student’s own doctor, indicating required hospitalization or home care.



The MSU Residential Network (ResNet) is a campus network that provides secure wired and wireless connections for students living in the Residence Halls and in Family & Graduate Housing. ResNet is available as part of the room and board plan.  If you own a computer, laptop, tablet or smart phone or plan to purchase one, you will be able to browse the Web from the comfort of your own room.  For those residents not bringing a computer to school, ResNet also provides computing facilities with ResNet access, Microsoft Office software, and high speed printing in six computer labs located in the Residence Halls.

Help Desk

ResNet provides a full service help desk to those students living on campus.  If you are experiencing any network related problems, general technical issues, or have questions about your service, ResNet's technicians are available 6 days a week as part of your room and board plan.