Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure
This program is designated for those individuals who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are now seeking a teaching license. This status is used for individuals who are not eligible to seek a second bachelor’s degree in their sought teaching endorsement area. You will work directly with the MSU Office of Field Placement and Licensure to determine your correct status. If you have not contacted the Field Placement and Licensure Office, please do so prior to completing an application.
Please Note: Montana State University does not issue the teaching license to completers of our teacher education program. However, once completed, a recommendation for a teaching license will be given to the Montana Office of Public Instruction, who issues teaching licenses in our state. This recommendation is not a certificate and will not be listed on a student’s transcript. It is important to know that this program is financial aid eligible.
These are the requirements for this status in order to complete the program
- Complete MSU Application for Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure,
- Complete the Licensure Endorsement Assessment Tool (LEAT) process,
- Work through the Planning Sheet created for you by the Education Advising office or Field Placement and Licensure Office,
- Complete an application to the Teacher Education program at Montana State University
- Complete the remaining courses required to satisfy academic requirements of new content area according to LEAT,
- Adhere to MSU Teacher Education Program guidelines,
- Maintain content area and Teacher Education Program (TEP) GPA of no less than 2.75
- Take and pass the Praxis Subject Area Exam and Meet the Montana Office of Public Instructions Content Area Assessment Standards
- Enroll in and successfully complete EDU 495: Student Teaching
How to Apply
To apply for the Initial Teacher Licensure Recommendation Program you will need to qualify for this status by meeting one of the following designations.
Must hold a bachelor’s degree
To apply for the Initial Teacher Licensure Recommendation status you will complete the Application for Admission through the Montana State University Graduate School. You will choose the following when submitting your online application: under Admission Type you will choose “Non-Degree”. Under Program Choice you will choose “Initial Teacher Licensure Recommendation”.
Complete the application and pay the application fee
● Send an official* transcript reflecting the completion of your bachelor's degree. Official transcripts are those sent directly from your previous university to our university. Applicants who are alumni of MSU-Bozeman do not need to submit their transcripts, however they should upload unofficial transcripts during the application process to aid in the review of your application.
● International Applicants. In addition to the above, international applicants will be required to submit a variety of additional documentation including English proficiency scores (at or above) the following: TOEFL , IELTS [level 6.5], iTEP [4.5], or PTE . Please see International application process for further information.
Domestic applications must be received by The Graduate School by the first day of classes.
International applications must be submitted approximately 75 days prior to the start of the term to ensure enough time for the issuance of an I-20.