This program is intended for those already licensed teachers to add an endorsement area to an existing Montana Class 1 or 2 teaching license. The process to add an endorsement begins with contacting the Field Placement Post-Baccalaureate Specialist, Jamie O’Callaghan to inquire about available options. The Field Placement and Licensure Office will help you to determine your eligibility for one of the added endorsement options including the BPE Internship option. Please note that MSU does not offer full, comprehensive online courses leading to an added endorsement with the exception of the Library Media Certificate program. Individuals seeking an added endorsement will complete the LEAT process in conjunction with working directly with the Field Placement and Licensure office.
To apply for the Licensed Teacher Additional Recommendation program you will need to qualify for this status by meeting the following designations. You must have:
- Completed a bachelor’s degree; and
- Completed a teacher education program and already have a teaching license. Individuals in this program must be seeking to add an endorsement to an existing teaching license.
Please contact the Office of Field Placement and Licensure prior to completing an application.
These are the requirements for this status in order to be recommended for an added endorsement:
- Complete an application to the Montana State University (MSU) Office of Field Placement and Licensure (FLPO) for an Added Endorsement,
- Complete of the Licensure Evaluation Assessment Tool (LEAT) Assessment Process,
- Content area and TEP program GPA of no less than 2.75,
- Complete the remaining courses required to satisfy academic requirements of new content area according to LEAT,
- Work through the Planning Sheet created for you by the Education Advising office or Field Placement and Licensure Office,
- Enroll in CEEX 280 each semester until endorsement completion,
- Take and pass the Praxis Subject Area Assessment Exam and Meet the Montana Office of Public Instructions Content Area Assessment Standards,
- Two formal observations of your teaching in the new subject area per semester will be required followed by a modified student teaching experience that meets MSU TEP requirements,
- Completion of EDCI 498: Internship-Clinical Supervised Experience (5 weeks teaching in the new endorsement area).
How to Apply
To apply for the Licensed Teacher Added Endorsement Recommendation status you will complete the Application for Admission through the Montana State University Graduate School. You will choose the following when submitting your online application: under Admission Type you will choose “Non-Degree”. Under Program Choice you will choose “Licensed Teacher Added Recommendation”.
Complete the application and pay the application fee
- Send an official* transcript reflecting the completion of your bachelor's degree. Official transcripts are those sent directly from your previous university to our university. Applicants who are alumni of MSU-Bozeman do not need to submit their transcripts, however they should upload unofficial transcripts during the application process to aid in the review of your application.
- International Applicants. In addition to the above, international applicants will be required to submit a variety of additional documentation including English proficiency scores (at or above) the following: TOEFL , IELTS [level 6.5], iTEP [4.5], or PTE . Please see International application process for further information.
Domestic applications must be received by The Graduate School by the first day of classes.
International applications must be submitted approximately 75 days prior to the start of the term to ensure enough time for the issuance of an I-20.