Department of Health and Human Development

Department Head
Dr. Deborah C. Haynes
219A Herrick Hall
406 994-3242

Department Main Office
219 Herrick Hall
Bozeman, MT 59717-3540

Graduate programs in the Department of Health and Human Development lead to a Master of Science degree with options in community health, counseling (marriage and family; mental health), exercise and nutrition sciences (exercise physiology and nutrition; sport and coaching sciences), family and consumer sciences (early childhood education/child development; human development and family science), and sustainable food systems.  The Master of Education degree is given to those completing the school counseling degree.

General descriptions of the graduate options are included below. More detailed information regarding curricula and requirements may be obtained from the respective graduate coordinators listed below.  Information may also be obtained on the Department of Health and Human Development website at

A minimum of 30 credits is required for the Master of Science degree in exercise and nutrition sciences, family and consumer sciences, and the sustainable food systems programs.  A minimum of 36 credits is required in community health.  Both thesis and non-thesis plans are available. Because of professional licensure requirements, a minimum of 60 credits is required for both marriage and family counseling and mental health counseling.  The school counseling program requires a minimum of 48 credits. Transfer credits may not exceed the limit of nine set by The Graduate School and must be assessed by the respective graduate coordinator before acceptance to the program.

Graduate Coordinators

  • Dr. Rebecca Koltz, 220 Herrick Hall, 406 994-3299, - Counseling and School Counseling
  • Dr. John Seifert, 103E Romney, 406 994-7154, - Exercise and Nutrition Sciences and Sustainable Food Systems
  • Dr. J. Mitchell Vaterlaus, 122 Herrick Hall, 406 994-3229, - Community Health, Family and Consumer Sciences

Program Leaders


In addition to the requirements listed in the application requirements and admission policies sections, admission requirements for specific options can be obtained from the department website at or by calling 406 994-3242.

Provisional admission as a graduate student is possible if there is a deficiency in one or more of these areas. Students accepted provisionally will be required to:

  1. successfully complete the undergraduate prerequisites for graduate-level classes,
  2. successfully complete the specific undergraduate or graduate classes needed for acceptance, and/or
  3. take a required course load and earn a specific grade point average while on a provisional status. 

Financial Assistance

Teaching assistantships may be available within the Department of Health and Human Development. Assistantships are typically nine-month appointments. Counseling assistantships can include a summer appointment in addition to the academic year appointment. Research assistantships may be available with individual faculty members who have funded grants or contracts. Stipends vary depending on the type of appointment, the requirements of the job, the experience of the applicant, and available funding. See the Graduate Assistantships sections of the department website for detailed information on appointment criteria. Assistantships are requested from the student’s home department.