Science Teaching

Montana State University's online graduate certificates help science educators gain knowledge and competence in specialized Science Teaching, in the following areas:

  • Chemistry
  • Earth Science
  • Elementary School Science
  • Life Science
  • Physics

Program Features

  • Certificates are offered through MSU, creator of the National Teachers Enhancement Network. NTEN has been known since 1993 for high-quality online science courses.
  • Science certificates are designed for teachers of all backgrounds; fellow students will be K-12 teachers, community college instructors, museum professionals and informal science educators. Students will learn along with peers from around the world; absorbing new ideas and fresh perspectives.
  • Courses are rigorous, content-focused and specially designed for teachers. NTEN's model pairs university professors with in-service teachers during course development.
  • Instructors are experts in their fields; having been specially trained in online teaching.
  • Courses are 100% online without the need to come to the MSU campus. However, there are several field experience courses available.
  • Courses are asynchronous; allowing students to log in any time of the day or night. In order to maximize interaction among students, instructors will set weekly schedules and assignment deadlines.
  • Our NTEN team offers fast, friendly, one-on-one support from the application process to certificate completion.

Time to Complete

Most students will complete the Certificate in 1-2 years. Because students have different responsibilities at work and home, not all students will progress in the program at the same pace. However, all coursework for each Certificate must be completed within a 3-year window of time.

Students may transfer into the program a maximum of 3 graduate credits from MSU NTEN or Masters of Science in Science Education (MSSE) courses. All transfer credit is subject to approval.

Graduate Science Teaching certificates are not licensing and/or endorsement programs. Students interested in initial licensure should check with the Department of Education in their states for local certification policies. Graduate science teaching certificate coursework could be used toward licensure/endorsements depending on the requirements of individual states.

For More Information

Kelly Boyce, Program Manager
Montana State University / Academic Technology & Outreach
128 Barnard Hall
PO Box 173860, Bozeman, MT 59717-3860
Tel: 406-994-6812, Toll free: (800) 282-6062
Fax: 406-994-7856 Email: