Department of Human Development and Community Health

Department Head

Dr. Michelle Grocke-Dewey
316B Herrick Hall
406 994-4711

Department Graduate Office

220 Herrick Hall
Bozeman, MT 59717-3540

Graduate programs in the Department of Human Development and Community Health lead to a Master of Science degree with options in community health, family and consumer sciences (early childhood education/child development; human development and family science), and family financial planning.  A Doctor of Philosophy is available in Indigenous and Rural Health.

General descriptions of the graduate options are included below. More detailed information regarding curricula and requirements may be obtained from the respective graduate coordinators listed below.  Information may also be obtained on the Department of Human Development and Community Health website.

A minimum of 30 credits is required for the Master of Science degree in Family Financial Planning.  A minimum of 36 credits is required in Community Health and Family and Consumer Sciences.  Both thesis and non-thesis plans are available. The doctorate degree in Indigenous and Rural Health is a 60-credit program.  Transfer credits may not exceed the limit of nine set by The Graduate School and must be assessed by the respective faculty advisor before acceptance to the program.


In addition to the requirements listed in the application requirements and admission policies sections, admission requirements for specific options can be obtained from the department website.

Provisional admission as a graduate student is possible if there is a deficiency in one or more of these areas. Students accepted provisionally will be required to:

  1. successfully complete the undergraduate prerequisites for graduate-level classes,
  2. successfully complete the specific undergraduate or graduate classes needed for acceptance, and/or
  3. take a required course load and earn a specific grade point average while on a provisional status. 

Financial Assistance

Teaching assistantships may be available within the Department of Human Development and Community Health. Assistantships are typically nine-month appointments. Research assistantships may be available with individual faculty members who have funded grants or contracts. Stipends vary depending on the type of appointment, the requirements of the job, the experience of the applicant, and available funding. See the costs section of the Graduate School website for detailed information on appointment criteria. Assistantships are requested from the student’s home department.