Out of State School Administrative License

Out-of-State School Administrators Seeking Administrative Licensure in Montana

Principal Endorsement

Educators with less than five years of experience, who have completed their principal preparation coursework in other states and are seeking Administrative Licensure with a Principal Endorsement in Montana must complete a course in Montana School Law. An additional recommendation is the completion of EDLD 565 Instructional Leadership. The following courses are recommended for K-12 MT Principal Licensure.

EDLD 565K-12 Instructional Leadership3
EDLD 655MT Legal & Policy Studies3

*Note: Out-of-State Administrators seeking Montana Licensure enroll in EDLD 655 to meet the Montana School Law requirement. EDLD 532 Montana School Law is restricted to student enrolled in the M.Ed. program.

School Superintendent Endorsement

Educators who have completed their School Superintendent preparation coursework and licensure in other states and are seeking Administrative Licensure with a School Superintendent Endorsement in Montana must complete both a course in Montana School Law and a course in Montana School Finance. The following courses are required and are typically offered every summer.

EDLD 655MT Legal & Policy Studies3
EDLD 650MT Finance & Facilities3
EDLD 645Personnel and Collective Bargaining in MT3

How to Apply

Contact the Educational Leadership faculty to discuss requirements for licensure.

Complete the Graduate School non-degree seeking application available online at the Graduate School website.

Educational Leadership Faculty

Dr. Jason Cummins, Assistant Professor and Program Leader
Email: jason.cummins1@montana.edu

Dr. Bill Ruff, Professor 
406-994-4182 Email: wruff@montana.edu

Contact Information

Graduate Program Assistant
PO Box 172880. Reid Hall 215
Department of Education, Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-2880 
Phone: 406-994-6786 Email: edgrad@montana.edu